Why is there no Daily Politics Scotland?
I tuned into First Minister Questions (FMQs) today for the first time in ages. I mistakenly thought that Daily Politics was going to be on (spent far too much time in England and forgot that BBC2 Scotland shows FMQs on Thursdays and not Daily Politics). I was particularly looking forwards to today’s show as Jo Coburn yesterday and Giles Dilnot (@reporterboy) on twitter were teasing a segment about “nudging”. I was curious.
Not only do we miss an episode of Andrew Neil putting politicians under pressure as well as the occasional interesting side piece, but FMQs itself is presented in a rather poor way.
Prime Minister Question’s (PMQs) on Wednesday is given an hour and a half on BBC2 by the Daily Politics team comprising:
- 30 mins of PMQs
- 30 mins analysis of PMQs (15 minutes before and after PMQs)
- 30 mins for the top stories of the day
- analysis of the First Minister’s performance
- analysis of the leaders from the other 3 main political parties performance
- Putting FMQs into a UK political context
- Putting FMQs into a global political context